torsdag 8. oktober 2009

Kale Soup - Doesn't get much healthier than this!

My housemates and I get a box of delicious veggies from Boston Organics once a week. This means I have to get creative when I get veggies I am not too familiar with. Say hello to Kale, my new best friend. So healthy it's ridiculous, makes for fantastic soup!

You need:
6 cups of veggie broth (as usual, I prefer water + veggie boullion)
A bunch of fresh kale
About 3 small carrots
An Onioon
About 3 potatoes
A small can of white beans
Garlic - about three cloves.
A bay leaf
Some oregano and hot red pepper
Some apple cider vinegar

You do:
Sautee the onion and garlic with the spices (except for the bay leaf) in some olive oil. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add all the veggies (should be somewhat finely chopped to allow for blending) except for the beans (+ the bay leaf). Let simmer for about 20 minutes, add the beans and let simmer for another five or so. I usually blend the soup, but not entirely so that there are still some whole veggies in it, giving it a heartier feel (but if you prefer a smoother soup, blend it all!). Remember to remove the bay leaf before blending.

Advanced Concepts:
While I haven't gotten around to experimenting yet I suspect that you could successfully substitute beans for lentils (in which case you'd not want to blend the lentils, so cook separately and add after everything else is done).

Ingen kommentarer: